The Utilities Department handles all issues dealing with water and sewer. Their responsibilities include:

  • Sewer collection
  • Wastewater treatment
  • Water distribution
  • Water quality
  • Water treatment

The department ensures the residents of the City of Rittman receive quality drinking water, and that the water returned to the environment is safe.

Backflow Prevention & Cross Connection Control

Backflow prevention is essential for protecting our drinking water from the dangers of backflow. Backflow Solutions, Inc. (BSI Online) (https://www.bsionline tracking.com/) administers our Backflow Prevention Program, ensuring backflow prevention devices are installed and maintained in compliance with federal, state and local codes. 

What is backflow?

Backflow is the reverse flow of water in any pipeline, causing non-potable water to flow into the public water supply.  Backflow can occur when changes in water pressure create a suction effect, forcing non-drinkable water into the City’s drinking water supply.  It is dangerous because it can allow drinking water in plumbing systems to become contaminated and unusable.

Informational Backflow Brochure

Backflow Prevention

Backflow preventers are mechanical plumbing devices installed in a plumbing system to prevent water from flowing backward in the system.  A properly installed, tested and maintained backflow preventer at the service entrance to a building or property can reliably prevent the backflow of water of an unknown quality from flowing back into the community water system.

Typically, backflow prevention devices are required for plumbing system connections that contain chemicals or industrial fluids, irrigation systems, fertilizers or auxiliary water sources (including reclaimed water). 

Annual Testing

The City sends notifications, through BSI Online, to most businesses 30 days prior to their testing due date. As of 2019, the City does not require residents to install a backflow devise on older homes.  The Wayne County building code requires this on all new homes and has done so for the last 20 years. For help determining if you have or need a backflow device, please contact the Utilities Director at 330-925-2062.  Not all devices are testable.

What is a Cross Connection?

A connection between drinking water pipes and any source of potential contamination is a cross connection. When the water pressure changes from internal usage or water system fluctuations, contaminated water may backflow into your plumbing from unprotected cross connections. Common household cross connections are garden hoses left in chemicals or in a pool and attachments to hoses used to apply lawn chemicals.


The Utilities Department also serves as the City's point of contact for their contracted trash service. Currently, this is the Kimble Companies. Kimble uses carts for trash and recycling. The City has weekly trash pick-up every Tuesday, with recycling cart picked up every other week (see the Utilities Calendar for the next recycling pick-up). Kimble will empty the cart and pick up a maximum of ten bags of trash in addition to what is in the cart.

Kimble will also pick up one bulk item per week. Furniture with cushions or bedding (mattresses, box springs) need to be wrapped in plastic, with the plastic taped shut. If your trash or recycling is not picked up by the end of business on the assigned day, please call 330-925-2059.


The Utilities Department accepts the following payment types:

  • Bank check
  • Cash
  • Credit card through Paya at 1-866-520-2495 or hit Bill Pay below.
  • Money order

There is, however, a 2.95% fee anytime a credit card is used and a check fee of a $1.10 using the Paya service. There is a night drop to the right of the front doors of City Hall for after-hours payments. 

First Time Users: Please sign up to set up an account. You can view balances and account payment history here, as well.  

Registered Users:  Please log in here

Pay as guest:  Please pay here

You can also sign up for ACH, where the monthly bill amount comes out of your bank account automatically each month. Over 600 people are already taking advantage of this service. You will receive a bill as normal so that you know how much will come out of your account on the due date. Just fill out the ACH form (PDF), sign it and bring in the form and a voided check that provides the bank routing and account number. There is no fee for this service.

Find forms for signing up for city utilities.

Contact Information by Issue/Request

  • No water or to report a water line leak: 330-925-2059
  • Water billing or to set up a new service account: 330-925-2059
  • Water meter problems or questions: 330-925-2059
  • Drinking water quality complaints: 330-925-2062
  • Information on the City's Sewage Reception Station: 330-925-2062
  • Report a leaking or damaged fire hydrant: 330-925-2062
  • Sewer backups: 330-925-2062